Friday, March 7, 2014

An Update to you today ~ Friday - March 7th from Salatiga!

I am updating you all as fast as I can - with all the pictures and our trip to Bali & Lombok.  We returned back to Salatiga here on Wednesday the 5th.

I am trying to catch you up on our trip to Bali - calling it Day 1 & Day 2 etc....so be on the look out for more pictures from our trip there!  Really tried to give you a impression from our experiences & days there!  So we took many pictures to do so!

On Wednesday when we got home around 12:30 we unpacked.  It rained on the way home from the airport and rained all afternoon!  Rain Rain Rain! Oh my and it was coming down hard!  Here in Java it seems to do that more then where we were in Bali....not sure why - but we are in central Java and it seems to accumulate more here!  

After our initial consultation visit to the dentist two weeks ago, we had made an appointment to deal with my tooth upon our return from Bali.  So the next day, Thursday we headed to Semarang with Beppie, who also needed to have some finished work done on her new crown.   The back molar has been a problem for a while - and I should of had it worked on back in the States prior to leaving for Asia - BUT- just so very costly!!!   So having been rest assured from our consultation visit - we - I felt confident to have this tooth dealt with by this dentist, Dr Andre, who had studied in Stockton CA was very professional and well equipped! 

Nick & I had discussed my situation and even though there was a crack in my back molar - I had hoped to save the tooth - clean out the infection that Dr Andre had found - do a root canal and then get a crown as well for that tooth.  I had already lost the tooth next to this one, way back in Holland many years ago - so I really wanted to save this tooth - if you know what I mean!

Well I was called into his office - and he asked me what we had decided?  I told him I had really hoped to save the tooth and if he would do the root canal and see if he could get the infection cleaned out?  He said he would do so - but reminded me about the hair-line crack in the tooth. Nick & I had discussed it and wanted to give it a try first!   I figured once he had a good look into the tooth both on camera and doing the root canal - well I had hoped that maybe it would be different. 

Anyway...he gave me several shots and began to do the root canal and worked on it as needed - but one root of my tooth he said had a bend in it...and it was really hard to get into the infected area...oh oh!  He stopped a few times -saying "difficult case" that started to give me a concern of course!  When I got into the chair - I did ask him before hand if he would kindly keep me posted in his procedures, as he worked on me!  He obliged and was very kind and patient with me - the BIG sissy!

After 2 times telling me again - there was a concern about the infection and also the crack - he saw that the crack was going up into the one roots and most likely the cause of the infection that was there!  Dr Andre said in America you would pay $3000,- to have this work done and he just didn't feel confident to do this work on me knowing I would have problems again in a short time even with the new crown on it -   Oh my, I gotta speak with Nick- please call him in please???

So the nurse brought him in and Dr Andre explained in detail / on the camera etc the situation - and Nick too agreed it probably needed to come out ......

YIKES!!!!! SAY WHAT? Am I really hearing that my tooth needs to be pulled - YIKES! YIKES!!!! 
Oh my you guys...sitting in that chair after about 1.5 hours worth of work done on the root canal and now having to make this major decision????    
.....Me Chicken Woman!!!!

Oh it was such a big decision at that very moment!  I prayed the Lord to give me peace and assurance in what to do?  "Lord God - what should I do?" "Please guide me?"  Well the best decision and the right decision was to extract the tooth of course!  And that is what needed to be done!  

Oh my more shots - lots more and then the pull began - yikes! Dr Andre did his best to loosen the tooth and try to pull it in one piece and then he called his father to help - I think his father might have had much more experience with this part of it! (Dr Andre said he had had a bad headache all day and the pulling was hard on him) The father - also a dentist in the next room,  took over and I knew right away - he was just more confident in doing this!  The nurse held my jaw & head in place from behind and "father" dentist went to work!  It finally came out in one piece!  Thankfully! His father left the room and Dr Andre showed me the tooth and the infection...yeah - I knew it was the right thing to have had done! Ouch!  He stitched me up and I was done!  Oh my...stunned I was! I thanked Dr Andre for all his efforts and expertise advice - he really took time to talk to me and was ever so careful!

Beppie & Nick had waited in the waiting room for almost 2 hours!  - I also received prescriptions: anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory med's & also pain killers!  We walked over to the drugstore and then headed home! An hour + back to Salatiga!

WOW! What an unexpected experience after our wonderful trip to Bali!  Oh my.... reality came back quickly!  

I was thankful and relieved it was behind me!  Beppie received her new crown and that went well for her, she said.  Everyone was very patient and kind - I had been in good hands and had no regrets -but ever so'  relieved to go home!  Yes - I waited much too long with that tooth!  But gosh $3000,- back home???? And here....so reasonable and fair priced!  How are people to take care of their teeth right - back home?????  Such an expense!

Today - the next day - I am thankfully doing better - the wound is healing - the drugs are helping and I had a good nights rest ---after all that emotional stuff! Gosh!  

Just wanted to share with you all that I had a little hold-up with the blogging and trying to catch-up with our lives here in Salatiga - and hope to email/skype with you all soon! 

Love from us - Friday - 3:15 pm - RAINING LIKE CRAZY HERE THIS AFTERNOON....CONTINUOUS AND HARD!

Thankfully the Sun was out this morning early and at least we did a load of wash and got it out in the Sun before the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment