Monday, August 25, 2014

Wow...Listen to This.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I lived in Holland many years ago...I attended a church called "The American Protestant Church of The Hague"  this is where both my boys were baptized (dedicated) when they were babies!

I very much enjoyed it there all those years of living in Holland.  There was a Choir Director named Henry Blackmon who was an American married with a Dutch lady.  They had 3 sons. 

The story continues:  The first 2 weeks in Holland we have been staying with my dear girlfriend Tineke.  She had a local magazine I glanced through and saw this story about the American Church and of course recognized it immediately as the church I attended here in The Hague in the 70'.  As I read the article I also read that there was a new pastor - and would you believe it - it is one of the 3 boys!

He left Holland and attended a university in France and then went to the States and graduated from Seminary there and met his wife Betsy.  Tim & Betsy started a new church in Folson CA for 10 years and then he was asked if he might be interested in moving to The Netherlands and fill the position here at the church as pastor? 

His mother still lives in The Hague but his father did pass on.

Tim took the position and now is here in The Hague in the place where he grew up!  Now as pastor!  


 I was just blessed by the story..especially being back myself...and would you believe it?????  
This apartment we now are staying at is just down the street from this church!!!!!!!!

 Another....WOW!

 This very church was a building that was used in the World Fair in Belgium in 1958 ~ the American International Church back in the 60' were using the local hospital meeting room for a church service so as they grew in membership...they purchased this Lot & location and began to search for a church....and yes they were able to purchase the building from the World Fair (see article above~ you can double click on it and it will open up!) and piece by piece it was taken apart and brought to The Hague! 
 What a story huh?  I was thrilled to read it all and I guess I knew it when I attended here - but reading it again in the article and then especially about the young pastor...was sweet! 

Yesterday Nick & I attended the church and the pastor asked if there was any new visitors this morning???

So Nick got up and introduced us & shared we were here visiting family and then I too got up and said that I had attended this church in the 70's and that I remember him as a little guy running around in the church (he laughed and the attendee's did too...and then he chuckled and asked if there was any other new guest!) It was a fun moment and I did say I remembered his father leading choir up in the loft! 

After the service he shared with us that he was totally overwhelmed himself how it all came to be - and that his mother was still living! 
I told him another special story quickly~ That my sis Maralin  went to the Dutch store to purchases some Dutch items in
Ripon CA (close to Modesto - where we use to live) and was standing there deciding what to buy - when someone else came along side too and said he too enjoyed the Dutch treats there.  They chatted and it turns out that this pastor's brother lives in that area and Maralin happened to be talking to him there in the Dutch store and this brother "Paul" told her he was one of the brothers! Yeah Pastor Tim just laughed when he heard that one! 

Wow talk about Small World huh?

Yeah that was pretty neat - really!  Special stories and very Special moments we experience on our Life Travels! 

No comments:

Post a Comment